Sunday, August 15, 2010

A very defeatist attitude

This may sound wierd, but when Santiago dropped the bomb and decided we should no longer be together, it was much harder to take than the news of when my Grandfather passed away in February 2000 (may he rest in peace) than this.The reason being is that when one dies, they fight for every last breath and put up a fight for even just a few more seconds of life. Fighting for permanent residency is much easier than fighting for a few last breaths and precious seconds of life. I am a trained paralegal and I could have easily helped in the fight to get permanent residency.. I guess it is not the Salvadorean or Santa Tecla way for one to pick themselves off the ground and fight. In the first world war, Canadians were known as the allied storm troopers because they fought and won ground that no other army could take...it was because they did not have a defeatist attitude of it is what it is. I am a Canadian and a paralegal, it is my nature and it is what I was trained to do over the past two years. He always has this saying of "it is what it is"...which I find to be very defeatist. It's not that he is unable to fight, but l he is unwilling to do so. I don't know..maybe it's because he never had to fight for everything he has. I guess, if I was ever Prime Minister, our troops would be scouring every inch of Aghanistan and possibly the whole Middle East unti Osama Bin Laden is in custody or dead. It is my nature to fight and pull out all punches until I win.Back in elementary school, I fought against bullies twice my size and won...the reason being was that I was not only resourceful, but I also had a fighting spirit and despite many blows did not give up until I won. I had made it this far and graduated college despite the heavy workload and many disappointments because I chose to fight to the bitter end, and it is now on the list of victories in my life.Sometimes the hardest fought battles are the sweetest of victories. If all Salvadoreans were defeatist like Santiago, the Canadian Army could invade and take over El Salvador in a day and El Salvador would just be another Canadian province or territory,

No comments: